How to Make Aeropress Coffee
What are the perks of aeropress? It’s inexpensive to start with.
Have you been wondering how to use an Aeropress coffee maker? This sweet little gadget fits in the smallest of spaces, the process is quick, and the result is a clean tasting cup of coffee—no bitterness, no sludge. Not to mention, clean up is a breeze.
What you’ll need to make Aeropress coffee:
- Aeropress kit and filters
- Finely ground Prime Roast coffee
- Hot water
- Your favorite coffee mug
Time needed: 5 minutes.
How to Make Aeropress Coffee
- Start with the filter.
Place a filter in the cap of your Aeropress, and wet the filter slightly with hot water.
- Set up the brew chamber.
Screw the cap fitted with the filter onto the brew chamber and set the prepared brew chamber on top of your favorite mug.
- Scoop the coffee into the chamber.
Place one heaping Aeropress scoop of coffee (about two and a half tablespoons) into the brew chamber.
- Boil and pour the water.
Once your water boils, let it sit for a minute. If your water is too hot it will make your coffee bitter. If you have a thermometer handy, 195-205 degrees F is ideal. Pour the hot water on top of the coffee grounds until they come up to the top line of the Aeropress.
Use the paddle to stir briefly. Once or twice will do the trick.
- Place the plunger into the chamber.
Place the plunger into the brew chamber and pull up slightly, this will create a pressure seal. Now wait a minute.
- Press down slowly.
Press down slowly until you hear hissing. This indicates that there is no more water to push through the device.
- Add more hot water.
Add more hot water depending on desired strength.
Aeropress Inverted Method
Coffee lovers around the world agree that the Aeropress makes a great cup of coffee. Folks are split half and half, however, on whether the traditional brew method or the inverted method yields the best cup. We’ve tried both and don’t think you can go wrong with either. Don’t stress too much about exact water temperature, grind setting, and amount of grounds—the Aeropress is extremely forgiving. You’re bound to have a great cup no matter what.
Steps for Aeropress Inverted Method:
- Assemble your Aeropress flared side up. Securing the plunger in the middle of the #4 mark will ensure stability.
- Wet the filter slightly with a few drops of hot water.
- Place one heaping Aeropress scoop of coffee into the chamber. (The funnel that comes with device is helpful in this process.)
- Pour water on top of coffee and stir once or twice with Aeropress paddle.
- Wait one minute.
- Hold device where two chambers meet and secure filter onto the brewer.
- Carefully flip the Aeropress over and place on top of your favorite mug.
- Plunge immediately.
- Add more water depending on desired strength.
What type of coffee should you use in an Aeropress?
You want to be sure to use finely ground coffee beans in your Aeropress. You can browse all of our coffees to find a roast or flavor that best suits your taste. Just select “Fine (Espresso, Aeropress, Stove-top)” as the grind type at check out and a bag of delicious coffee grounds will be on your doorstep in no time, ready to be used in your Aeropress coffee maker!